Saturday, June 10, 2017

Final Blog Post w/ Video



After finished Spring semester at The University of Maine at Orono I've decided to create a short video of memories of my time in Ireland.

I still cannot explain how receiving the George J. Mitchell Scholarship has influenced my life in only positive ways. A little over a year ago I received a letter in the mail congratulating me on winning this scholarship, little did I know that effect it would have my life. I was just excited to have a chance to study and explore a part of the world I've never been to but oh, didn't I gain and experience so much more! My semester abroad allowed me to grow as a person both academically and socially. I remember my first day back in the States (after spending Christmas with my sister and father in Germany) in January my older sister said "you've grown so much, I barely recognize you and I mean that as a compliment."

One of the requirements in order to be considered for this scholarship I had to write an essay detailing how this scholarship would benefit you personally and academically.. in my essay I talked about becoming more independent, becoming less shy, and adapting to new environments. Reflecting back on my time abroad I believe I've made great progress towards all these things (obviously, there's always room for improvement) but I'm on the right path.

I hope this blog can be beneficial in easing the nerves and providing guidance or as a insiders looks into how this amazing this scholarship is for future applicants and winners. I am elated and honored to be a part of this George J. Mitchell Scholar family and hope to stay an active member and inspire others to apply in the coming years!

I want to keep this blog post short so I just wanted to say thank you to Dorry French, the Board Member, and Senator Mitchell for selecting and allowing me to have this once in a lifetime experience and to Greg Swett for being my mentor during the application progress!

Obviously, a HUGE thank you to all the wonderful people I met and all the great friendships I created in Ireland from all around the world.

With this chapter of my life closing I'm now off to Nursing school at the University of Maine at Fort Kent.

No comments:

Post a Comment